Martin Eldridge, has worked in different media – oil, pastel, watercolour, collage & print making, on a wide variety of subject-matter. These have included landscapes, cityscapes, coastal scenes & riverscapes; increasingly his paintings have included figures, either in an urban context, such as London, or in beach/harbour scenes.
His normal working method is to make drawings, watercolours & photographs in situ & then to develop & redefine these in the studio. His initial practice as an abstract painter brings a strong sense of design & composition to his figurative work.
After leaving the Royal Academy Schools & London 40 years ago he & his family moved to Shropshire, where they still live. He has painted continuously over that period, initially combined with some part-time art & art history teaching at Adult Colleges & Universities; he now paints full-time.
Training & Scholarships:
- Newcastle upon Tyne University. B.A. Fine Art [Painting]
- Royal Academy Schools Postgraduate Certificate [Painting]
- Italian Government Scholarship
- Selected Solo Exhibitions
- Clarges Gallery, London
- Portico Gallery, Manchester
- Artifex Gallery, Birmingham
- Birmingham University
- Theatre Hafren, Newtown
- Country Works, Montgomery
- Selected Group Exhibitions
- New Grafton Gallery, London
- Royal Academy, Summer Exhibition
- Mall Galleries [ Sunday Times watercolour exhibition]
- RBSA Gallery Birmingham
- Oriel Gallery, Newtown
- Millard & Lancaster, Shrewsbury
1st Prize, 3 Counties Open, Keele University
Public /Private Collections:
Mead Gallery, Warwick Arts Centre, Sir Brindsley Ford